The History of Columbus Grove
Originally published in THE GROVE GUIDE
Used with permission , Copyright 2004-2012, Steve Wynn
Columbus Grove: The Early Years
Like many towns, Columbus Grove has a history with connections to the native American population. The area where we are located was the site of a large grove of sugar maple trees. In nearby
The Treaty of the Rapids of the Maumee River in 1817 resulted in the removal of the last of the Ottawa Indians from the Tauwa Village in the early 1830’s and the beginning of the village of Columbus Grove.
In 1832 William Turner and Elias Featheringill came from Groveport, near
In 1833 the land owned by the Ottawa Indians was sold by the United States Land Office in Wapakoneta and signaled the exit of the Native American population from
The first established church in the area was established in 1836 when the
In 1842 the
In 1864 the village was incorporated by John J. Baker and others. Since Captain Fruchey and most of the early settlers came from near
The first mayor of Columbus Grove, elected in 1863, was David Jones, who was the owner of a saddle and harness business. For twenty-five years he was either the Mayor or the Justice of the Peace. In 1874 David Jones built a house on West Sycamore which later became the home of the Sisters of St. Anthony’s Church.
In 1870, Theodore Kunneke constructed the first brick residence on the northeast corner of East Sycamore and North Broadway. In 1973 he constructed the first brick business block on the northeast corner of High and Sycamore.
J.F Jones come to Columbus Grove in 1875 and quickly became associated with the educational interests of the area and became the first school superintendent. In 1878, the first class graduated. These were C.H. Jones, Reno Sprague, and Mrs. John Kunneke. Along with his sons and twenty-five to thirty employees, and the abundant supply of native hickory, they manufactured 10,000 dozen axe handles a year, and also shipped hickory to several other handle manufacturers in
In 1883, A.H. Day, who had come to Columbus Grove in 1861, and opened a mercantile business on the northwest corner of High and Sycamore, began building the “Day Block” which was noted for the Day Opera House. He also constructed the “Grove House”, a fashionable hotel, on the northeast corner of Sycamore and
In the 1920’s and 1930’s the Parker Sanitarium was an attraction for people from all over the
In the early 1930’s a group of Columbus Grove Residents went door to door collecting nickels, dimes and quarters. There goal was to raise enough money to buy a financially troubled quarry. Once done, they traveled to
In 1859 The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad became the first railroad to run through Columbus Grove. In 1902 the addition of a streetcar service that ran into
Columbus Grove Today
Columbus Grove is the third largest town in
Occupying approximately one square mile of land, it sits at an average elevation of about 773 feet above sea level.
Almost everything you need is available in Columbus Grove, sold by a diverse assortment of businesses. You don’t have to leave town for very much. In the Columbus Grove area, there are over one hundred businesses offering their services, with a willingness to work together for the betterment of the community. There is a branch of the Putnam County Library, a post office, physician, dentists, lawyers, police, fire, and EMS protection.The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are developing tomorrow’s leaders.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau the The Village of Columbus Grove currently is home to approximately 2,118 residents with women slightly outnumbering men. The workforce in the Columbus Grove area is eager and skilled group of craftsman, a work ethic passed down through the generations.
Columbus Grove has two industrial parks. Both are located on SR65, one north and one south of town. The